Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dustin's 6th Birthday

Dustin's birthday was on Thanksgiving this year (poor kid) so we decided at the last minute to have his party the weekend before. He invited over a few friends and they had a great time playing with his new things. This was the favorite present. They had a lot of fun seeing who could get the rockets to go the highest. And I had a fun time sweeping them off the roof!
When I asked Dustin what kind of cake he wanted he answered "Chocolate. With chocolate frosting." He must be my kid. So I asked what would you like on top of your cake? and he said star wars. That left it open quite a bit. So I googled "easy star wars cakes" and you would not believe the cakes that popped up. They most definatly did not look easy. So after a few pages, I found this cake. Anyone who has seen the movies will recognize this scene.

It was a little soft and the men kept sinking in, so that's where the toothpicks came in, and I could not get the lava frosting red enough, so Mike finally made me quit before I made it any worse. So once again I ended up with one of those cakes that doesn't look as good as I want it to, but it tasted good!
As for other things, Mike and I got called to be the activities chairpeople about two weeks before Halloween. So we had to throw together the Halloween party at the last second. (With no committee) Ugh! It was not fun at all. (for us, everyone else seemed to have a good time) So we had our Christmas party planned for Dec. 13th, and we got to church two weeks ago to find out that they did not reserve the building for us, and the only open date was the 6th. So it's been a bit of a stressful two weeks, and I am sooooo glad it's over. Everything turned out beautifully this time, and I actually got to sit and eat for about five minutes. I hate to admit it, but I actually work better under last minute stress. Way back in high school I wouldn't write my term papers until the night before, and they were always decent. The longer I have to do things the more I second guess myself and redo them, usually the first thing I come up with is the best. Okay, so now you've all had a little peak into my inner self. Christmas and Mike's birthday are coming up soon and we are not prepared. But I can at least try to post soon after they happen!


7 comments:

The Queen Bee said...

The cake looks very cool. Good job. I was activity chair for 7 years in Wasco and NEVER had a committee (ok maybe one member for about a month then she moved) It was fun but stressful. I always told Chris he was my committee!

Merrimom said...

I love the cake! It looks great!

Jen Wolff said...

Yay! a new post. Cool cake. I don't do cake, we buy cake. Great job! Happy late bday Dustin!

Williams Family Dirt said...

Yes, you have been busy! Happy Birthday Dustin!

Williams Family Dirt said...

BTW the cake is awesome. I always make the cake! I think it is important to do that--goog job!

Brooke said...

Well I'm sorry we missed the christmas party. I was still in Utah recovering :( Glad to hear that it went well.

Jenn said...

Very cool cake! Happy Birthday to him (a bit late!)